The latest Android Tablet PCs and their markets availability.
- Motorola Xoom
- Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet PC
- Archos Internet Tablet
- eLocity A7 Android Tablet PC.
- ViewPad from ViewSonic.
After Apple has introduced iPad in January 2010 , the whole hardware manufacturers and large corporations finally have confidence that there are enough public interests and markets for the tablet PC and they have started to develop the Tablet products. Many of them choose Android as their OS for the new type of computing device.
In the last year, there was not a decent Android tablet that could compete with iPad (Ok, Samsung Galaxy Tablet was good enough to get attention from everybody even from Apple) . But this year 2011, it will be the year of Android Tablet and soon will dominate the tablet market. Let’s review the best Androi tablets that are currently available in the market for the purchase.
[Updated 2/24/2011] Now long waited Motorola Xoom is available from Verizon Wireless as of now. It is basically dream come true for a tablet mania like me. It is a next generation tablet comes with Android 3.0 Honeycomb with the support of 4G LTE mobile brandband availabe from Verizon soon. It is powered by NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processo, so I do not worry about any speed issue. Adobe Flash is supported. Front Back camera , and microphone for the video chatting. Also supports HD 720p video recording. It supports Wireless-N Wi-Fi, 32GB of internal space, HDMI output, microSD expansoin slots. Up to 10 hours of video playback/Wi-Fi web browsing and up to 336 hours (14 days) of standby time. The price is $599.99 with 2 year contract. And $799.99 without one.
- Display: 10.1 inches with resolution 1280 x 800
- CPU: NVIDIA Tegra 2, 1 GHZ dual-core processor
- Memory: 1 GB DDR2 RAM
- Storage: 32 GB onboard + external SD cards support
- Camera : 2MP front and 5 MP rear with microphone for video chatting. 720 HD video recording
- Internet : Wi-Fi b/g/n and 3G/4G connection
- Battery : 3250 mAh battery / 10 hours of movie playback
- OS : Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Weight: 730 g
- Other features: Mobile hotspot capability, Wireless-N Wi-Fi,GPS, Bluetooth, Flash player
As of this writing (9/11/2010), Samsung Galaxy Tablet is not available to purchase in the market yet. Samsung Galaxy S phone is a big hit and popular due to its fast graphic engine and CPU power. Samsung has introduced the Galaxy Tab in the IFA held in Berlin. According to Samsung, it will come with Android OS 2.2 Froyo which will make it one of the first Froyo Tablet PCs.
The specification is very nice. It will come with 7 inch display (1024 X 600) resolution, Cortex A8 1GHz CPU, Wi-Fi & 3G connection. Compared to iPad, Galaxy tab weighs only 380g and thinner than iPad. The hardwared spec is more powerful and Android Froyo is said to be much faster than previous versions. Also note that Android OS can play Xvid, DivX, and other video formats that iOS does not support.
The interesting point is that Galaxy Tablet’s display size is 2.7 inches smaller than iPad which has 9.7 inches display. Samsung’s market approach is maybe similar to Dell’s Streak. While Apple’s iPad feels big enough that people tend to use inside their home or office, Samsung wanted it to be more portable that people would bring their tablet pc to anywhere. You can see their intention in their first commercial Ad below.
The price is yet to be known, but it is said that it will be around $700 in Europe. However, according to the latest news regarding Samsung’s Galaxy Tab , Samsung is said to have made deals with AT&T , Verizon, and Sprint at the same time on September 16th in US. If this is true, I think the Galaxy Tablet PC would be around $199 with 2 year contract or similar. Latest news is that Sprint will charge $400 with a two-year contract and $600 without a contract. Their release date is November 14 2010
Samsung has announced the price of its iPad rival, the Galaxy Tab. It will cost $600 and come contract-free on Verizon’s 3G network. A data plan is optional and will cost $20 per month for 1 GB, and the tablet will be available to buy on November 11th 2010.
Updated (11/1/2010) : Amazon.com just showed up a new link for pre order for Samsung Galaxy Tab (from T-mobile), but the price tag is little higher than we expected at $699. The website says that the item will be released on November 9, 2010. Try Amazon Tablet link for more information.
Updated 11/17/2010 : The Amazon.com’s Samsung Galaxy Tab is now showing $599.00
- Display: 7 inch TFT LCD display 1024 X 600 resolution
- CPU: CortexA8 1GHz processor
- Memory: 512 MB RAM
- Storage: upto 32 GB + external SD cards support
- Camera : 3MP camera with LED flash additional front facing 1.3MP camera for video chatting
- Internet : Wi-Fi and 3G connection
- Battery : 7 hours of movie playback
- OS : Android OS 2.2 Froyo
- Weight: 380g
- Other features: GPS, Bluetooth, Flash player, Swype
Commercial video on Youtube.
Archos Internet Tablet
I am excited about the Archos’ Internet Tablets. They are good candidates for your everyday use. It’s cheaper than other tablets from name brands and very fast (according to the youtube video) enough. There are 7 inches (Archos 70) and 10 inches (Archos 101) versions.
They comes with capacitive multi-touch screen and Android 2.2 . HDMI outputs and USB, microSD slots, WiFi, Bluetooth and they are pretty light in terms of weight. (Archos 101 is 480 grams ~ about 1 pound)
- Archos 70 is $275 for 16 GB and $350 for 250GB version.
- Archos 101 is $300 for 8GB and $350 for 16 GB version.
Now that’s much better than iPad or Samsung Galaxy in terms of prices when you think of the high quality features. But there is one minor disappointment that Archos Internet Tablet does not support Google Android Market Place. It has its own app store (www.appslib.com).
Archos Internet Tablets will be available October or November 2010.
Archos Internet Tablet technical specifications:
- Display of Archos 70: 7” TFT LCD capacitive multi-touch screen(800×400 pixels)
- Display of Archos 101: 10.1″ TFT LCD capacitive multi-touch screen(1024×600 pixels)
- CPU: 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 processor
- OS: Android 2.2 OS
- Graphics: Graphic accelerator: 3D OpenGL ES 2.0
- Storage: Up to 256GB of internal storage
- Camera: Front VGA Camera
- Internet: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Battery :Up to 36 hours of music, up to 7 hours of videos and up to 10 hours of web browsing.
- Others: HDMI output, USB 2.0, microSD slots
11/17/2010 : Here are the amazon link for the Archos 101. I was unable to find valid Amazon link for Archos 70 yet.
12/2/2010 : Check out the link for Amazon Archos 70
- Archos 70 – 8 GB Internet Tablet (Black)
- ARCHOS 101 Internet Tablet 8GB at $299.99
- ARCHOS 101 Internet Tablet 16GB at $349.99
eLocity A7 Android Tablet PC.
While big vendors (Toshiba, Dell, and so on ) gives us only glimpse about their products in the future with out firm shedules, this little known vendor ‘Stream TV Networks’ introduces 7 inch Android tablet with Froyo 2.2.
It is jam packed with hightech features such as 7-Inch tablet pc with Android 2.2, powered by NVIDIA Tegra 2 with Capacitive Touch Screen, 1080p Viewing HDMI support and 3-Axis Accelerometer for 3D Gaming.
This is one of the first Android tablets with Android OS 2.2 that you can purchase from Amazon.com. eLocity A7 Touchscreen 7-Inch Android 2.2 Tablet (Black)
eLocity A7’s specification is very similar to Samsungs Galaxy tablet in terms of Android OS 2.2 , CPU,and memory power. It lacks the 3G Internet and GPS function and has smaller display resolution and smaller storage memory size. And it weighs about one pound. This may not be the portable as Galaxy would be , but you can purchase this product from Amazon without any wireless service contract. The final cumulative cost of the ownership of Galaxy tablet may be around $1000 assumed that the monthly Internet service charge is about $30 times 24 month and plus any additional costs while the final price of eLocity is about $370 at this time.
eLocity A7 is a very attractive option for people who have been waiting for a decent Android tablet.
- Display: 7-inch touchscreen, 800 X 480 resolution
- CPU: NVIDIA Tegra II T-20, 1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
- Memory: 512MB DDR2 RAM
- Storage: 4GB high speed internal Flash memory; + external SD cards support
- Camera : 1.3MP camera
- Internet : 802.11b/g wireless
- OS : Android OS 2.2 Froyo
- Dimension and Weight:8.2 x 4.8 x 0.5; 1.02 lbs
- Other features: Bluetooth, 1080p HDMI output, USB 2.0 port;
- Amazon Link :eLocity A7 Touchscreen 7-Inch Android 2.2 Tablet (Black)
ViewPad from ViewSonic.
Today ViewSonic announced ViewPad 7 and 10.
The ViewPad 7 is a 7-inch, Android 2.2 tablet . It has an 800×480 multi-touch LCD display with 3-megapixel rear-facing and 0.3-megapixel front-facing camera. The ViewPad 7 should be available before the end of the year; The estimate price is $479.
The ViewPad 10 is a 10 inch 1024×600 display and supports double booting system with Android 1.6 and Windows 7 . It has a 1.66GHz Atom (model unspecified), a 16GB SSD, webcam and
will be available in Q1 2011. The estimated price is $629. now it’s available ! ViewSonic ViewPad10 10.1-Inch Dual Boot Tablet Supports Windows Home Premium and Android OS with Wi Fi/Bluetooth (Black)
Updated 11/17/2010 : Here is Amazon link of ViewPad 7 available at $599. ViewSonic 7-Inch 3.5G Android 2.2 800 x 480 Multi-Touch Tablet (Black) The price is bit expensive than we expected, but we believe it will go down as time goes by.
- Display: 7 inch , High resolution 800×480, brightness 350 cd/m2 contract 500:1
- OS: Android 2.2 tablet
- CPU: Qualcomm MSM7227, 600MHz
- Memory: 512MB DDR, 512MB NAND
- Internet : 802.11 b/g WLAN and Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR
- Capacitive multi-touch with G-Sensor, E-compass & Ambient light sensor
- Android Google Mobile Service (GMS) apps and Android Market over 100,000 apps, YouTube, Gmail, Voice search, GPS/A-GPS, Calendar, Documentation-To-Go & more
- Auto focus COMS 3MP camera in the rear & 0.3MP front camera, E-reader format support: TXT, HTML, EPUB & PDF
- Dimension: 0.45 inches, 7.06 inches, 4.33 inches , Weight: 13.28 ounces
Also check out 10 inch Viewsonic G-Tablet Android 2.2 here It’s only $399.99 and has faster 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor.
- 10.1-inch TFT-LCD with LED driver system and 1024 x 600-pixel resolution
- 1 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor (dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU)
- Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n
- 16 GB internal memory
- microSD slot for expansion using optional cards up to 16 GB
- 1.3-megapixel camera
- Music playback: AAC, AMR, WMA, and MP3
- Video playback: S1080p H.264/H.263/ VC-1/MPEG-2/4/WMV9/DiVX 4/5
- Video encoding: 1080p H.264/MPEG-4 Video
- Connectivity: USB (slave), mini USB (host) microSD slot, 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
- Battery: 3650mAh Li-ion polymer battery for up to 8-10 hours of battery life
- Dimensions: 10.5 x 6.8 x 0.54 inches
- Weight: 1.55 pounds
Check out this Youtube video.
And other tablets
Here are other Android Tablets available in Amazon.com that you may want to check out.
This year will be the year to be remembered as the year of Tablet PCs. I will update with the latest Android tablets as many hot tablets are scheduled to introduced in the market
- HTC Flyer Android Tablet
- LG Optimus Pad
- Notion Ink Adam
- Lenovo Ideapad U1/LePad
- Panasonic Viera Tablet
- Toshiba Tablet
- Acer Iconia 7 and 10
- Dell Streak 7 and 10
Please come back again. Thank you for visiting Android Tablet US